Monday, February 22, 2010

A Million Pound Dress



It was made by a lottery heiress using more than a million pounds of cash.

The 20-year-old, whose parents won £2.5m on the lottery, designed the dress using a succession of £20 notes printed onto silver silk, having first secured permission from the Bank of England.

Hannah, who is studying fashion at the University of Wales in Newport, said: “It was a lot of fun to make and the dress really does look expensive.

“I’m delighted with it – I came up with the idea but I had a lot of help.
“I’m hoping the dress will be seen in fashion shows before going on permanent display somewhere.”

Hannah’s parents Gareth and Jenny Cooper won their fortune three years ago and vowed to spend heavily.

But apart from moving to a slightly larger house the couple, from Cwmbran, Torfaen, have not changed their lifestyle. Hannah’s big benefit is a Mini to get her to college and back every day.

Hannah has recently completed a work experience placement with London- based fashion designer Julien Macdonald.

And she is hoping her dress made of money will get other fashion houses interested in her designs when she leaves college.

Hannah said: “Everyone knows that my family won the lottery and people always ask me about it.
“So I decided it would be fun to make a dress out of money. I had to get their permission first because it is illegal to copy bank notes.
“But they were fine about it – although I did have to scale them down to size.”

Lottery operators Camelot are delighted with the creation which was modelled by the current Miss Cardiff Summer Ghanavati, 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment